This Notice describes the way AXIS collects and uses information about individuals in all locations where AXIS conducts business except for Europe.
What type of personal information do we collect about you?
The types of personal information we collect about you depends on your relationship with AXIS.
If you are an insured person or potential insured, we collect personal information of the policyholder, prospective insured, and related individuals in order to determine eligibility for, underwrite, and administer insurance policies. In some instances, we may need to collect sensitive personal information, such as information about your medical and criminal history.
If you are a claimant making a claim under an AXIS policy, we may need to collect your contact information, as well as information about your claim and previous claims. We may also need to collect sensitive personal information, depending on the nature of your claim.
If you are a business partner, we will collect your business contact details.
The types of personal information we may collect include:
- Name, address, phone number, email
- Company affiliation
- Marital status
- Date and place of birth
- Government identification numbers: social security, passport, tax, driver's license
- Family information
- Banking information
- Health information/medical history
- Criminal history
- Credit history and credit score
- Claims/policy numbers
How do we collect information about you?
If you are an insured or potential insured, we collect information from you or your representative through the policy application process. We may also collect information about you from your family members or employer, credit reference
agencies, anti-fraud databases, sanctions lists, and relevant government agencies, including public registers or databases as well as credit reference organizations.
If you are a claimant, we will collect information about you when you notify us of a claim, or if the claim is made by someone with a close relationship to you or who otherwise has authority to make a claim on your behalf. We may also collect personal information about you from others who are involved in the claim, including lawyers, witnesses, experts, and adjusters. Finally, we may consult other public sources to validate the claim or protect against fraud or other financial crime.
If you are a business partner, we will collect information about you when you or your company provides that information to us as part of the business relationship.
We may also collect information about anyone who contacts us for any other purpose using the contact form on our website.
Why do we collect information about you?
We may collect your personal information for the following purposes:
If you are an insured or potential insured:
- Account setup, including background checks
- Evaluating risks to be covered
- Risk modeling and underwriting
- Customer service communications
- Payments to/from individuals
- Direct marketing
- Complying with legal or regulatory obligations
If you are a claimant:
- Managing insurance or reinsurance claims
- Defending or prosecuting legal claims
- Investigating or prosecuting fraud
- Complying with legal or regulatory obligations
Information collected automatically online
Our legal basis for processing your personal information
Where we process your personal information for the purposes set out above, we generally rely on one or more of the following legal bases.
For all personal information:
- Performance of a contract – we must use your personal information to perform a contract with you – for example, to perform your insurance policy with us
- Legitimate interests – as an insurance business, we have a legitimate interest in using your personal information to provide your insurance cover, manage our business relationship with you and protect ourselves from fraud
- Legal obligation – we must use your personal information to comply with our legal or regulatory obligations – for example, in relation to carrying out background checks or reporting financial crime
For special category personal information:
- Insurance purpose – it is necessary for us to use your special category personal information for an insurance purpose
- Legal claims – it is necessary for us to use your special category personal information to establish, exercise or defend legal claims
In some instances, we may use your personal information on the basis of your express consent. Where we rely on your consent as a legal basis for processing your personal information, we will expressly inform you that we are doing so at the time that we request your consent. You do not have to give your consent and you may withdraw your consent at any time. However, if you do not give your consent, or you withdraw your consent, this may affect our ability to provide you with certain services. If you choose to withdraw your consent, we will inform you of the consequences of withdrawal.
Click HERE for further details about our legal basis for using your personal data.
Links to our website
Our website may offer links to other websites that are not maintained by AXIS. When visiting one of these linked websites, you are subject to the other organization’s privacy notice and other policies. We are not responsible for, or able to monitor or control, the policies and practices of other organizations.
Notices for specific United States locations
We do not “sell” “covered information” of Nevada “consumers” as those terms are defined by Chapter 603A of the Nevada Revised Statutes. If you are a Nevada resident, you may contact us at [email protected] and register for us to provide you notice in the event that we change our practices in the future.
If you are a California resident, click below to review our California Privacy Notice.
Changes to this privacy notice
How to Contact Us
Please address all inquiries, requests, and other communications regarding your personal information or this Privacy Notice to:
Contact: Data Protection Officer
Email: [email protected]
Address: 52 Lime Street, London EC3M 7AF
Published: 24 June 2022 v1.0